Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Can my child play on the same team as his or her friend?

The HL level Directors, who are responsible in working with the coaches to select the teams, will make every reasonable effort to respond to requests for players to be with friends, but there is no guarantee that this will be possible. At the Rep Level player levels are determined by evaluation and skill sets.

What if my child wants to play at a higher, more competitive level?

The SPMBA offers a Rep Program for this purpose. Please refer to the Rep Program section of the SPMBA website for more details, or contact the VP Rep.

What is the cut-off date for the age categories?

The player's age as of January 1st is used to determine their age category.

When is registration?

The first registration takes place in January (Ads are placed in the local papers at the beginning of January). The final registration takes place in mid-March. For more information, go to the Registration menu.

What does it cost to play ball?

All costs associated with playing House League ball are covered by SPMBA Registration Fees. Rep teams are responsible for fundraising to cover special team costs including travel and other expenses. For more information, go to the House League and Rep menu.

When does the league play begin?

Depending on field conditions, play will usually begin in the first week of May for House League Players; Rep players may meet earlier for information sessions.

What if my child wishes to play beyond the end of June?

SPMBA holds Fall Ball camps and Spring and Winter camps. These are all posted on the website during that time.

If I have a concern or grievance to bring forward, what is the process to follow:

SPMBA has a process to follow for concerns or grievances. Click Here for our Conflict Resolution Policy.

Does SPMBA host tournaments?

SPMBA hosts the Doc Plotsky Tournament and House League tournaments every year. See Tournament section.

What types of equipment do players require per Baseball Alberta guideline?

All players must provide the following mandatory safety equipment:
- CSA Approved Batting Helmet
- CSA Approved Athletic Protection

Can girls play baseball and does SPMBA support all girl teams?

Girls can play baseball in SPMBA and the process for registering and tryouts is the same as for boys. There is no all girl baseball team in SPMBA.

Is there an evaluation or tryout process my child must participate in?

There is no tryout or evaluation or House League but there is a tryout for our Rep League. Information on this tryout is located under the Rep Program Menu.

Where do I drop off the raffle tickets?

Log cabin mail slot - 50 Spruce Avenue, Sherwood Park.

Who do I contact for questions about the raffle tickets?

Raffle Director at

When do I drop off the raffle ticket stubs?

On or before the date printed on the front of the ticket stubs.

Submit your question


Tell your Team Manager to turn
RAMP Team on!


Do you want to reach thousands of users across hundreds of Minor Sports Association websites? Advertising with RAMP has never been easier! Get in touch with us now to discuss your needs.